Friday, July 31, 2009

My Home Town

These cottages should have been posted after the larger homes but I forgot how things load so the post about our town should have been first and this second but. . .
I didn't want everyone to think I only like the big homes I have a fondness for the cute little ones too.
We had a storm the night before I took these photos so there might be debris lying on lawns, sidewalks, and driveways.


Here starts the big houses, although the one below is a 'medium' home I just really like their porch. Cute, eh?


Isn't this one (above) a beauty?
This is the carriage house for the house below.


It's nice living in an old city. Our population is 15,000 and called a city, the other cities in our county have populations of 1,418, 2601, and 2522. I'm uncertain what qualifications are required to be called a city but the difference in populations between our city and the other three are confusing to me. In our county we have 16 villages, 27 townships, 24 unincorporated communities, and 13 ghost towns.
Our city was founded in 1825 by a man who thought he was someplace else. This founder was killed along with an infant son ten years later in a tornado.
We have one hospital, one library, one community college, a Walmart, a K-Mart, one major grocer and one Midwest grocer, one movie theatre with two screens, a Goodwill, a McDonald's, a DQ, Burger King, Taco Bell and a Hardees. We also have a small JC Penney's and numerous small businesses. We have a town square as do many of the towns in this county. I believe the population of the whole county is somewhere around 37,700 with our town being the largest.
One of the neat things about living in a smaller city is the big old houses we have. The photos posted are from our town only. I never tire driving around looking at the old homes and neighborhoods. I hope you will enjoy the photos.
P.S. Notice how most of our homes have porches?












2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Thank you for the lovely tour. I never get tired of driving around when I come to your house either looking around at all the older homes. I like looking at the churches at night when the lights are on behind their stained glass windows.
Thank you for the mini history lesson!
I will admit I like driving around in the evening when people have their inside lights on and seeing what their living room or parlors look like...honest, I am not a peeping tom...just a curious decorator.

Jan said...

I'm with you Chey, I like seeing whats on the inside too.
All of those homes are so pretty! I would love to see the woodwork inside. I bet it's gorgeous!