Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy Birthday Cheyenne




On the morning of April 11, 1966 I began labor with my first child. I spent the day at my parents home, hubby and I decided he would go to work and I would call when the time came to go to the hospital. After all, it was my first baby, two weeks early, and what did I know?

Around 5 pm labor intensified and after speaking with my OB's nurse we decided to go to the hospital. After a call to the hubby my folks took me to the hospital where upon the Daddy-to-be arrived about 45 mins. later. I continued to labor through the evening and finally at 11:43 pm
our daughter, a 7 lb 5 oz, 19" long bundle of joy arrived. Cheyenne came into the world with wild coal black hair, black eyes, and a rosebud of a mouth.
My mother said, "Look at that hair, it'll never lay down. She didn't get that hair from my side of the family. That's that North of Ireland hair...she got it from your father. That's the kind of hair you see on Presbyterians. If you had married a proper Limerick man she wouldn't have this standing-up-North of Ireland Presbyterian hair." Then she spat on the child's head to try and make her hair lay down.
Ok, I added this tale about my Mom for effect but it sounded pretty good didn't it?

All that wild black hair eventually fell out and it came back white as snow and those black eyes turned brown which eventually turned green with brown flecks.

You were such a happy beautiful baby; I couldn't have asked for a better 'first' baby than you were.

Cheyenne, you are still sweet and beautiful and a joy to have as a daughter. I cannot imagine my life without you.
I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for allowing me to be your earthly mother, I don't know what I did to deserve that but I do appreciate it and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHEYENNE, I LOVE YOU . . .
Your Mom

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Thank you very much mom. I know the real thing grandma said about the dark hair and dark skin, and the version you shared is a little more creative---ha, ha, ha!
I am out of bed now and it is a beautiful day. Thanks for the birthday call!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

NanC said...

Again Happy Birthday Sweetheart, have a lovely day. Shoot, I celebrate all week. . . you should try it.