Monday, September 7, 2009

Books Books and More Books

My latest summer reads. I love children's books...
they're so uncomplicated and generally very happy and uplifting.

My favorite reads for the summer have been these two. Pink and Say is a tear jerker, which is unusual for a children's book but a great read. Pink's and his mama's dialogue should be read with a Georgia-Ebonic-accent.
The other one, Gator Gumbo, is just a fun fun book but beware the ending with small children.
Gator Gumbo must be read with a Cajun/Creole accent to really get the flavor of the story.
When I began reading these last two to Sweet Man on Sunday afternoon he says, "are you gonna read with an accent?" I says, "well of course I am, why?" "Just give it to me in plain English," says he. Uh huh, that's gonna happen thinks I. I read these last two with my accents and when I'm finished 'he' wants to know, "done already"?
I read the whole book The Secret Life of Bees to him with a Carolina accent and he loved it. He likes to fuss and ruffle his feathers cause he doesn't want me to know he has a soft side but I already got that man figured out....crusty outside with a marshmallow center. Lucky me!
If you get the chance give them a try if you're 5 or 95. They're good reads, the whole lot of them.
Have a lovely day wherever in the world you are.



3 comments:

Jan said...

I don't think I've read any of them. I'm a sucker for childrens book too. did you know i have a small collection of them?
we just got back from Chandler's first Court of Honor- he received 7 merit badges, 3 of them being eagle required, and 2 advancements, scout and tenderfoot!
We have 3 more we are working on in September-he's a busy boy!!

NanC said...

Congrats Chandler, you're smokin' hot! Keep up the good work. Does he have a goal in mind for his Eagle? He's an awesome young man and his Granma N loves him heaps and bunches!!

NanC said...

I forgot to comment on your note Jan. Yes, I've seen your collection...quite impressive. There are a couple that I want to find one of these days to add to mine. Do try the Gator Gumbo if your library has it or you see it at DI.