Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Prairie Churchyard

This little prairie churchyard contains many of our ancestors from my maternal side. The monument on the left is my great great grandparents. It was a gray heartland day when I went out to visit and take some photos. My mother use to say happy is the bride that the sun shines on, happy is the corpse that the rain falls on. If that is true these bodies will be exuberant! We've had record breaking rain this spring. The photos in this group were all taken at the same place. The photos for the cemetery art post were taken at another cemetery that my Uncle Roy use to be the caretaker for. (That's another story for another day.)
Henry is John Vicary's father which is a little further down.
My great great grandmother, Eliza Ford Stear My great great grandfather, Richard Stear.
John is the s/o Henry and Elizabeth Lonsdale Vicary he married Alice Wolstenholme d/o Jacob and Sarah Diggle Wolstenholme which is the photo below.
These are my great grandparents, Jacob and Sarah Diggle Wolstenholme.
Another relative. John Pillman is the b/o Joanna Pillman Stear my great great great grandmother, w/o Richard Strear whose son is Richard and Eliza Ford Stear, my great great grandparents, in the photos near the top. Nearly everyone in this little cemetery is related to me in one way or another. It's a lovely little spot and I love to go there and contemplate what life must have been like way back when. I can't wait to meet these people whose names I've gathered for so many years. One of these days I would like to photograph every tombstone that is related in this churchyard. There has been a lot of vandalism over the years and you never know when something may disappear completely. Many of the old flat limestone markers have been knocked over and laid flat on the ground and eventually the earth takes over and they disappear. Isn't that a shame!







2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Thanks for the walk through and a little family history. It looks like it was a cloudy day.

NanC said...

It was a cloudy day. That's how it was all winter and most of spring. We've had two days of sunshine and we're so excited. How is your weather?