Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Flowering Tulip Tree

Do any of you have a tulip tree on your property? They're very easy to identify, the have the most unusual leaves and flowers. Click on the photo and look at the leaves closely. The flowers are green on the outside and yellow starting at the tip inside flowing down into orange. They're not very attractive but they sure are prolific! From below the tree the flowers are nearly invisible. These trees can reach a height of 80-100', I hope this one doesn't but you know the luck of the Irish....
When I planted this tree it was the talk of the neighborhood I'm sure. I put it in, placed a small fence around it and covered it with cheesecloth (it was summertime and I didn't want it to burn in the full sun). Whenever I'd be in the front garden and someone would drive past they'd invariably gawk at my little white surprise. The woman who gave it to me was the d/o the old folks we bought our house from and she suggested where to plant it. I'm sorry I listened to her because this tree is already quite large. We all live and learn don't we?

2 comments:

Jan said...

I can't believe how big your tree has gotton, I bet it provides nice shade for a picnic, and beautiful color for the fall. Does it change red, orange or yellow?

NanC said...

Yellow, brown and burgundy. Depends on how much rainfall we've had and how hot the summer was. She's a beauty for sure.