Friday, April 3, 2009

Something New . . .

Something new . . .
I'm such a contradiction of terms. I love new things but I'm drawn to the old.

I love the feel of new socks on my feet, a new flannel gown, the shine of a new pair of shoes, the smell of a new car. Newly mown grass, just turned earth, the desert after rain, the sun on a brand new horizon. the skin of a new baby. I like the smell of a new book and how crisp the pages are.

On the other hand, I love how worn shoes feel on my feet once they've molded to my foot, how flannel gowns get softer and softer with wear. The wrinkles on older peoples faces, how the smell of a book and the texture of the pages change after you've read it time and time again.
I like the vibrancy of youth and yet love to visit with older folks and glean wisdom from their experiences.

I like going into furniture stores and looking at the new items on display but given a choice of something brand new or something used and loved I go for the old every time.

I think what I like about old used stuff is it's history, the memories associated with it. In other words something new is only new until you take it home. Once you've put it on or used it it begins to accumulate character, history and a memory.

When I first came here I purchased a French Provincial settee from the Salvation Army for $10.00. I used that settee for a few years then I gave it to a friend who used it for a few years then I had it again and once again gave it back to her. This went on for 14 years. It was solid but slightly worn when I purchased it and only got better until finally we decided to part with it. She passed it on to someone new. I don't know the history of this piece before I bought it but it was loved because it was well cared for. I loved it while it was in my care, my friend loved it while in her care and we hope whoever has it now loves it too.

People are the same way. I love meeting new people and making new friends but my old friends and family are the ones I'm constantly drawn too. They're like that pair of shoes, bright and shiny when new but once lives are melded together through trials, tribulations, love and heartaches there's nothing like it in the world.

Cherish friends, cherish family. Make them comfortable with wear and service, love them, take care of them.

I want my friends and family to know how much they mean to me and how much better my life is because they're in it.

To them and all others have a lovely day wherever in the world you are . . .

2 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I love what you said...and it is so true---except the new furniture part for me!
Miss you, and the wicked stepfather, and the brothers and sisters!

NanC said...

Miss you too sweetheart...Your wicked stepfather would like you to come visit again. Actually he wants to come up to see your whole family. What would you say to that?