Friday, April 3, 2009

Cameras

I have a couple of daughters who like photography, the younger one would like to take it up as a living one day. I decided to start an old camera collection for fun and display and then pass them on. Here is the beginning of the collection starting with all four lined up.
From l to r. The first is a Brownie Target Six-20. It was made from July 1946 to 1952. This is mine and takes lovely old black and white photos. The film has to be purchased from a camera shop. As do all the following.

The next is a German made Wirgin. I don't know anything else about it, I've looked all over the net and I do find Wirgin but not this particular one.

Next is an Agfa Ansco. Cameras with this name were manufactured between 1928-1943 in Binghamton, NY. Any cameras made after 1943 were labeled Ansco.

Last but not least is a Kodak Duaflex ll, it uses 620 film and was manufactured in Rochester, NY in December 1953. Kodak had an interesting way to date their cameras. They used the word camerosity as the base; c=1, a=2, etc. When you open the back of this camera there is some identification and under that a list of instructions, under that is four letters. This camera has the letters carm which interpreted gives us the numbers 1253. Hence, December 1953.

The last three cameras may have, and probably do, have parts missing. I'm pretty sure the Kodak would have a flash.

Anyway I think they're interesting and fun to look at. I don't have a clue how to open the Agfa Ansco to see the inside of it so one of these days I will go up to the big city to the camera shop and have them take a look see.

A story. . . When I was a little girl a neighbor gave me an old box camera. I use to go around taking pretend photos of people in the neighborhood. After I snapped their picture I would open the box of the camera and take out a photo of a pretty woman or handsome man that I had previously cut out of a magazine. It was a fun pasttime and folks always got a kick out of the 'their' pictures.
See next post for more photos.

No comments: