Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A New Old Book

Look what I found on eBay.
I use to have this book when I was a little girl. I can't wait for Sweet Man to get home and read it to me. It's the story of a Russian boy named Vanya who belongs to a group that wants to perform their native dances. They want to purchase an accordion for the music only he doesn't have his share of the funds needed. Occasionally he helps this old woman in his village everyone calls Granny. She takes in stray animals and birds. She feeds them and cares for them. Vanya tells her his story and she decides to give him the birds to sell in the market place. Their village is going to have a fair to celebrate the Feast of the Annunciation which is held in memory of the angel's visit to Mary to announce she would carry the Christ child. It was the custom of the village to buy birds in small wooden cages and set them free on that day.
Vanya and his father make small cages and he sets off to market, sells the birds and they're able to buy the accordion and dance their native dances. The End.

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Lovely story...what a find! Who used to read it to you?

NanC said...

My Dad. I'm going to take some photos of the inside and show you. The colors are wonderful.
I hope you're having a good day. I've been playing with backgrounds and I'm nearly blind...Smile

Jan said...

Very sweet story. Ebay is a great tool isn't it?! You can find ANYTHING on ebay.
Can't wait to see the inside.

NanC said...

You bet you can. I was lucky enough to find a lady who would take a money order too. She said it would save her a pay pal fee, I didn't know the seller was charged a fee for using pay pal???